• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2.4 Kilometer run times.

Josh1r

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all!

After searching on the site I have not been able to come across any topics dedicated to run times alone.

I am interested in knowing two things, peoples current run times and peoples goal run time for the 2.4 kilometer run.

Thank you.  :salute:

Current Run Time: 10:45.
Goal: 8:00.

I haven't ran 2.4kms since BMQ, every PT test I've done just used the shuttle run.

All my (unit an my own time)runs for PT range from 5-10kms

I can do 3.6 km in 17 min and 20 secs (I don't know if this good or bad) but when I started training, I could barely make it to the curb and back.

Usually around 8:30-8:50 depending on how I feel that day, and my goal is about 8 minutes flat.

I've only done a few timed 2.4km runs with the CF, so my weekly runs only include 1 2.4km to see how I'm progressing, the rest are usually 6-10km in length.

The 6-10 Kilometer runs, I do not have problems with. I would like to condition my run speed, I did 2.4 kilometers in 10:45 but what I found was that I did a fast paced jog, it was not a RUN. I would like to be able to do 2.4k running, because that would probably bring my time down to about 9:30, I would then be able to work on it from there.

It's just hard to run for 8-10 minutes straight, I can do jogs for 45 minutes but it's the running that hurts me the most.

anyhow, I have 2 years, So I will not worry.

I'm around 10:20 for the 2.4 km. Hopefully I'll be a bit faster in a week. I'm having the same problem as you though, Josh. I can do a fast jog but I can't run it the whole way. Long distance isn't really a problem but those short runs are deadly.

Here is a tip if you want to improve your 2.4 km run times.

This is strictly for improving your 2.4 KM run times. Get on a treadmill and set the speed at slightly faster pace then you have been able to run before for the fastest time. This will force you to push your body with the extra incentive of not falling off the machine. Push the pace .1 miles per hour faster each time and watch your times shrink. I wouldn't suggest you do this everyday since it will really hurt your body pushing to your limits everyday.

I know people are going to say treadmill don't really simulate real running (wind, inclination, etc) But your not really trying to get an accurate measure of your actual 2.4 km run time but simply trying to learn to push yourself faster then you had the previous time. Make sure you use the same treadmill all the time, they vary a lot from machine to machine.

If you were to run for real your body will simply slow down when you start to reach your perceived limit whether you do it intentionally or not. When you do the 2.4 km run, you think your really pushing yourself but your not really pushing yourself as hard as you think. The key is to push yourself slighter more then you had the previous day which is easily done with the treadmill. (Again, use the exact same machine you used the previous day each time)

Doing it on a treadmill will also teach you to run at a consistent pace.

Don't rely strictly on improving your 2.4 KM times to improve your overall cardiovascular fitness, as this will focus primarily on your anaerobic fitness not your aerobic. You should still focus primarily on the slower paced long distance runs.

A question for anyone who can answer, when it comes time to do the Cooper test, is it done on a track, or treadmill?

Thank you AverageJoe I appriciate your responce, seeing as I have a treadmill in my basement, I will start using it for the 2.4 kilometer run, I will continue using the track in back of the school next to my house for long paced jogs.

Thanks again.  :salute:

Since I am no longer a young whippersnapper :)  Just a slightly older one, my time sucks.  But I am doing exactly as suggested above, generally a mix of progressively longer jogs one day out, and the next day out a progressively faster run on the treadmill for 2.4k, with 2% inclination.  The pace is pushed up, and I tend to play intervals a little bit with it as well.

josh1r - When do you mean "when it comes time for the Coopers test"?
In BMQ, you do the shuttle run, which is done on a gym floor.

When I first got in I did the 2.4 in 9 minutes flat. Since then I've been adhering to a pretty good hill running program around the lake outside my house and I've since got my time down to 7:50. I'd really recommend some short (3-6km) runs with steep inclines if you want to get your 2.4 time up.

Josh1r, you will not do the coopers test in Basic. You will do the Canadian Forces Express Test.

Meridian said:
josh1r - When do you mean "when it comes time for the Coopers test"?
In BMQ, you do the shuttle run, which is done on a gym floor.

MikeL said:
Josh1r, you will not do the coopers test in Basic. You will do the Canadian Forces Express Test.

Oh haha, I am not worried about BMQ, I am talking about my application in two years for the special forces.  :blotto:

Josh1r said:
Oh haha, I am not worried about BMQ, I am talking about my application in two years for the special forces.  :blotto:

don't get ahead of yourself.. alot can happen in 2 years... it's goods to have long term goals, but BMQ comes first.

NJL said:
don't get ahead of yourself.. alot can happen in 2 years... it's goods to have long term goals, but BMQ comes first.

It never hurt anyone to start preparing, If I am honestly going to make it, then I gotta start now, BMQ is day camp compared to other things.

But I do agree, I am just not phased by the physical aspect of BMQ, I am more phased, about expressions and sleep then I am about anything else.

Anyhow, the post is to know where the average person stands, nothing more or less.

Most bases have PSP staff who will give you advice and training programs if you seek their counsel. I believe there's also a CF published book with recommended training plans to achieve special forces standard.

niceasdrhuxtable said:
Most bases have PSP staff who will give you advice and training programs if you seek their counsel. I believe there's also a CF published book with recommended training plans to achieve special forces standard.

Wow, thanks I will make sure to look into that as soon as I am in  :salute:

Last week-end in Gagetown were the Legion Nationals, a track and field event for teenagers. The girls 15 years and below ran 2.4 in about 8:00. The boys do it in 7:30.

We need to keep training. :)

Army Fitness Manual Here - http://www.army.dnd.ca/2field_engineers/images/B-GL-382-003-PT-001.pdf
Physical Fitness Prep Guide - http://www.army.dnd.ca/2field_engineers/images/brochure_en.pdf

Or you could google "improve running" and go from there.

Best method I've found to improve 2.4 km times (drop from 8:45 to 8:00 flat) is interval training or Fartlek training:

http://www.time-to-run.com/training/methods/fartlek/definition.htm
http://trailfire.com/skyblue/marks/82279

edited to put in Fartlek links

Josh1r said:
Wow, thanks I will make sure to look into that as soon as I am in  :salute:
We will be able to answer all your CSOR/JTF questions at the end of BMQ.  There is a class at the end that is specifically for the purpose of answering any questions the recruits in our (2 assigned PSP staff) platoon have.  There is not enough time during PT classes and morning runs to answer these types of questions, but the the things you can ask will be covered in an introductory lecture also done by us.  To answer one of your questions...the 2.4 km run is done on a track (if available) or outside. Have fun.  Cheers. :salute:

Back