• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

>170 CAF and DND addresses in Ashley Madison

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canadian-public-servants-email-addresses-on-hacked-ashley-madison-list-1.2523363

I guess somebodies will be hearing from the DWAN acceptable use police soon.

You can use any email address you want, as it doesn't send verification emails. I believe I saw somewhere that Tony Blair's UK PM email address was registered... However, its highly unlikely someone randomly used john.smith5@forces.gc.ca without actually being that dude.

PuckChaser said:
You can use any email address you want, as it doesn't send verification emails. I believe I saw somewhere that Tony Blair's UK PM email address was registered... However, its highly unlikely someone randomly used john.smith5@forces.gc.ca without actually being that dude.

I wouldn't say that.  I'm sure there were some dumb enough to use it but at the same time we often get warnings about people spaming DND email addresses or using them for other nefarious purposes without the actual CAF member knowing.

I recognize 3-4 names on there.  None are surprises.

:facepalm:

Honestly we probably shouldn't be sharing this on this website as this is pretty much a form of cyber warfare  :2c:

:facepalm: If you're going to indulge in extra curricular hanky panky, using your work email addy isn't exactly a sign of better than room temperature intelligence.  :facepalm:

cavalryman said:
:facepalm: If you're going to indulge in extra curricular hanky panky, using your work email addy isn't exactly a sign of better than room temperature intelligence.  :facepalm:

But it may not be them using it. Once your email address is out there in the wild, anyone can spoof it, particularly when the site doesn't verify the source.

How many people do you know who attache their DWAN email address to all of their outgoing correspondence? Some even post it on their social media profiles.

ModlrMike said:
But it may not be them using it. Once your email address is out there in the wild, anyone can spoof it, particularly when the site doesn't verify the source.

How many people do you know who attache their DWAN email address to all of their outgoing correspondence? Some
even post it on their social media profiles.

Exactly.  Hell, it's in our freaking sig blocks. 

Also, there are some on there that seem dubious (ie. only last name).  I'm fairly certain that no DWAN addresses are like that.

Yep, as far as I am concerned, this is a non-issue unless of course the member has been looking at the site at work, in which case that info will be easily verifiable now that the authorities will want to take a look at the members browsing history. 

ModlrMike said:
Some even post it on their social media profiles.
That's probably not a whole lot smarter, but I've witnessed enough stupidity when it comes to exposing one's life on the internet that I really shouldn't be surprised.

Dimsum said:
Exactly.  Hell, it's in our freaking sig blocks. 

Also, there are some on there that seem dubious (ie. only last name).  I'm fairly certain that no DWAN addresses are like that.

While that might be true, my understanding is that they also posted credit card info and other things.  If one dug enough and cross referenced that....

:facepalm:

I just.....can't  even.

Lack of user education is one thing, but this is textbook stupidity.

Say,  how does someone access all the email addresses that were exposed?

Like how the hackers did it, or how to find the leak online?

Jarnhamar said:
Say,  how does someone access all the email addresses that were exposed?

Hackers gain access to the Ashley Madison server through som backdoor or by hacking into an administrators account, they then access a database et voila, all info is theirs  ;)

Anything that is connected to the web exists on a server somewhere, someplace i.e. A hard drive of a server somewhere.  The website is basically a gateway to that server. 

Neat.
How can I look at the list of emails to leave people awkward Facebook posts on their wall?

I've been looking for a way to pay back all those game invites.

Dimsum said:

Original DWAN addresses were last name and initials.  We changed to first and last names at least 5-7 years ago.  This would indicate that many of addresses given are quite old.

Pusser said:
Original DWAN addresses were last name and initials.  We changed to first and last names at least 5-7 years ago.  This would indicate that many of addresses given are quite old.

True but until recently I believe you could still use those initial/name to reach people at their address.

Back