• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

éééÉÉÉéééÉÉÉ Help

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Okay when I type or reply on army.ca I can not make a question mark! I know where it is on the keyboard.. and it is set on English. It works fine on other programs. So may be it is the site. I know I had a few brews in me now... but I am not the buzzed yet. É!É!É!É!É!!É!É!É

Regards,
TN2ICé

What kind of machine and operating systems are you using? I was having the same problem in Word 2007 from my laptop using Vista as an operating system...I restared and all was good, could be a bug.

On your keyboard do you have a "F Lock" button? It's for francais ...

If so click it!!

Vista! I wil restart it after I am done here... I`ll keep you posted. ÉÉÉéééÉÉÉÉ

French lock? Explain? You had me going for a minute as my laptop has a "Fn" button between my control button and the windows button...I tried hitting several with it (Shift, control and alt) but haven't replicated the problem.

TN2IC,

It only happened the once for me. The restart bit it in the arse. Now trying to recall the other issue Vista gave me recently.

And send that e-beer my way, brother, Monkhouse needs no more!

Scott said:
French lock? Explain? You had me going for a minute as my laptop has a "Fn" button between my control button and the windows button...I tried hitting several with it (Shift, control and alt) but haven't replicated the problem.

TN2IC,

It only happened the once for me. The restart bit it in the arse. Now trying to recall the other issue Vista gave me recently.

My keyboard has a "F Lock" button (top right hand corner)... for french. When I'm typing in french, I just click it and the accents take care of themselves.

No really, je ne parle pas francais. It's happened to me before ... so I asked google; it answered!!  ;D

Actually, I just looked at it again and it says "F Lock" and has a capital "F" in a big white square as well.

ArmyVern said:
On your keyboard do you have a "F Lock" button? It's for francais ...

If so click it!!

My Dear.. .the only F buttons I know here... is the combo buttons of Alt + Ctrl and Delete... I refer to it as the F*** It button... when press a few times the computer screen goes blue.

Scott...e beer done and done...

Restarting now....

Stand by.....

Fire mission.....

Regards,
TN2IC

TN2IC said:
????///???///??? Wow... it's working now.
Now that we're on the topic of this all:
Whenever there is a thread with a topic name containing an accented(sic?) letter, they show up strange on my computer.

EXAMPLE:  The topic name for this thread appears like this on my computer.

éééÉÉÉéééÉÉÉ Help by TN2IC 

Anyone else have this happen?

Scott said:

TN2IC,

That's the function button.  Certain compact keyboard layouts, especially on laptops, have fewer buttons than a normal keyboard, so they assign secondary (or tertiary, depending on how you want to view it) functions to certain keys.  The Fn key enables the alternate usage, changing, for example, the left side of your keyboard into a numeric keypad on some laptops.

midget-boyd said:
Whenever there is a thread with a topic name containing an accented(sic?) letter, they show up strange on my computer.

It might be dependent on how your browswer views different character sets.  Depending on the browser you are using, you should be able to go to the View menu at the top, then go to 'encoding' or 'character encoding'.  Set it to automatic selection and see if that helps.  My browser seems to do that intermittently with Japanese characters.  Just to complicate things, there are often several character sets for the same language, hence why the automatic detection is preferable.

chanman said:
Depending on the browser you are using, you should be able to go to the View menu at the top, then go to 'encoding' or 'character encoding'.  Set it to automatic selection and see if that helps.

It didn't work. But no worries, it isn't something too serious, I just brought it up since the topics were similar.

midget-boyd said:

The same thing happens to me on the army.ca home page but if I open the topic, it appears normally.  And I just tried changing the encoding and it didn't work for me either.

I've noticed this at various times on the site. Not recently though.

I don't know what I hit to enable the French lock on my machine and I have tried a few variations to replicate it but haven't been successful so far. It all fared well after restart and it sounds like TN2IC is OK as well. By the way TN2IC, are you using a laptop or desktop?

And you are running Vista? Just curious because I am as well...And mine was fine apres restart.

Frigging Vista. What was the big broohaa over this POS anyway? Why upgrade XP when it seemed to work just fine? I tried loading Sim City 4 Deluxe (A guilty pleasure of mine) and it kept crashing my computer. A google search revealed that many people are having the same issues with Vista and it's no just Sim City. I have been hearing that it's crap for alot of gaming.

I received the Vista upgrade free when I bought my new laptop but have not installed it yet due to all the problems I've been hearing about.  :-[

Scott said:
And you are running Vista? Just curious because I am as well...And mine was fine apres restart.

Frigging Vista. What was the big broohaa over this POS anyway? Why upgrade XP when it seemed to work just fine? I tried loading Sim City 4 Deluxe (A guilty pleasure of mine) and it kept crashing my computer. A google search revealed that many people are having the same issues with Vista and it's no just Sim City. I have been hearing that it's crap for alot of gaming.

On the desktop I am running Vista. I still can't figure the program out. I got XP on the lap top and it works fine. I had a hard time with my Blitzkrieg games on Vista.

Regards,
Erwin Rommel,
Desert Fox

I meant...
TN2IC...  ;D

Back