• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Our North - SSE Policy Update Megathread

lol, so are most other countries including the great almighty United States.
Our Hornets are Super ;) but in all seriousness they are newer, the F-16, F-15’s, F-22 and F-35 are much newer…
The P3’s are gone, but yes, eventually you will get P-8’s
We have more than a jokes worth of C17

Also a very capable helicopter fleet.

Again most major Navies around the world are using older Ships. At least Canada's have cleanish non flammable drinking water.
With extra lead? I think your smoking crack of you think the CPF’s are in any shape to do much.
We could also get serious and start domestic production of said equipment. It would would mean wonders for our manufacturing sector and Military.
but we have Quebec and Ontario who get in the way of most good manufacturing.
Supply and Demand, you have little demand, so there is little incentive to making a supply.

Guaranteed if the CAF was a valuable partner, you’d have BAE, LocMart, RTX etc building plants in Canada to make stuff for the CAF and the rest of the world.

Certainly our involvement and commitment in NATO is political. The military aspect only derives itself from the political.

Our commitment to Latvia is primarily political due to the NATO politics that saw us go there in the first place. There are no strategic military reasons for us to be there due to pure Cdn defensive reasons.

It’s due to that reason and the fact of strategic realities of the US role in sustaining any NATO peer on peer war both militarily and economically that I would be reluctant to do as your proposing vs aligning our entire force structure and equipment with the Americans.

Aligning with the Nordic countries might be easier in peace and likely fits with only outfitting enough of the army with equipment to support the Latvian deployed forces but that doesn’t likely hold true for an ability to sustain the Cdn Army through a couple of years of intensive peer on peer operations.
I'd 100% agree with you if we were forward deploying with American units or units using American vehicles. I'd also agree with you if we were expecting to build a CA with enough depth to deploy and sustain in combat multiple mechanized Brigades.

However, we are deploying alongside Danish and Swedish units that are both using Leopards and CV90's. Commonality with the other units within the Brigade would simplify what will already be a difficult multinational supply system.

If the arguments are that the only way that maintaining a Mechanized force with tanks makes sense for Canada is to go all in on the Latvia mission and forward deploy the bulk of our equipment then I'd argue that in this particular case standardizing our equipment with the rest of the Brigade we'll be fighting alongside makes sense.

Our Hornets are Super ;) but in all seriousness they are newer, the F-16, F-15’s, F-22 and F-35 are much newer…
The P3’s are gone, but yes, eventually you will get P-8’s
We have more than a jokes worth of C17
The Navy/Marines pulled more then a few of their legacy Hornets out of storage so they could support their fleet. Besides the F22 and F35 not much is actually new in the US fleet. F15 old, F16 Old, B52 really old, C130 old, DC 10 old, B747 new to them but old, C5 old, C141 newer but we have those. etc.
Yes the US Military has the greatest and bestest most modern fleets in the world.
Also a very capable helicopter fleet.
Again the most modern of your fleet is is based off early drawings, The rest although modern are still based on old 1960-80s platforms. Just modernized.
Lets face it even your Armored vehicles are based on 1960-70s tech that has been modernized/ rebuilt/ overhauled.
With extra lead? I think your smoking crack of you think the CPF’s are in any shape to do much.
They do lots that why they are worn out.
Supply and Demand, you have little demand, so there is little incentive to making a supply.
except for those little parts that make some of the bigger parts go round. I get it we are not a big market for large orders, any orders for that matter.
Guaranteed if the CAF was a valuable partner, you’d have BAE, LocMart, RTX etc building plants in Canada to make stuff for the CAF and the rest of the world.
Instead they just open up/ buy out Canadian Tech companies. They all build stuff here just not on the Grande scale they do in the great America. If Canada put the money out they would come. We can provide all our own resources for the cause.

Back