• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Government & Union spar over returning to office

Get a giant screen wall.

You can do WFH on secure means, you just need to have faith that your people doing it are following the rules.
It’s not that hard to make a SCIF in a home - if there is enough space. Or have out buildings for that purpose in areas near your work force.
There is no budget for a giant screen wall.

Honestly though, still easier on paper with numerous sheets in some cases, especially when one giant sheet is a deck on the ship. You can physically line them up and follow it up or down directly, so some of the piping, HVAC and wiring runs are just easier to follow.

At a certain point as well, my eyes get tired of looking at screens all day, and it's also easier to mark it up if you need to.

Lots of times where digital is easier (and searchable, unless the assclowns with the contracts for the drawings turn all text into vectors), but sometimes you can't beat paper.

Poor Maj drafts an electronic document. Sends it through approvals and somehow, incomprehensibly, it reaches the 3* approving authority still in digital format, still with all the embedded links working. Miraculously, the 3* applies a digital signature and returns the document for distribution.

So the OR prints it, scans it as a PDF image, and emails the PDF scan.

Poor Maj drafts an electronic document. Sends it through approvals and somehow, incomprehensibly, it reaches the 3* approving authority still in digital format, still with all the embedded links working. Miraculously, the 3* applies a digital signature and returns the document for distribution.

So the OR prints it, scans it as a PDF image, and emails the PDF scan.
That is the most CAF thing I've seen in a long time... and I just cleared into barracks in Gagetown earlier today, where I was supplied twin bedding for a double bed.

Honestly though, still easier on paper with numerous sheets in some cases, especially when one giant sheet is a deck on the ship. You can physically line them up and follow it up or down directly, so some of the piping, HVAC and wiring runs are just easier to follow.

At a certain point as well, my eyes get tired of looking at screens all day, and it's also easier to mark it up if you need to.

Lots of times where digital is easier (and searchable, unless the assclowns with the contracts for the drawings turn all text into vectors), but sometimes you can't beat paper.
I get that. Real paper and a real book is far better than an e reader. IMO. But I am ancient so....

Not so much secure spaces, but they overlooked secure storage as well as actual storage for things that can't be digitized (like expensive standards or reference books). At the moment we just consilidated into an area, so not a big deal to keep the lockup for some legacy confidential documents etc.

For us boffins, the big ass drawings is also a big deal; for some reason trying to trace lines on a 21" screen isn't the same as a 4'x6' print (especially when it spans multiple sheets). We've kept a lot of them, but there is a pretty good reason we have hardcopies of digital drawings.
How true that is.

I think better on paper. Scribbling seems to unlock stuff.

One thing I'm looking forward to is taking actual sick days again; other than when I actually got COVID, haven't taken any in 4 years, and just worked from home instead on the days I would have gone into the office and been a plague monkey.

Not doing that anymore though, if I'm "unproductive" working at home guess I should just take care of myself instead when I'm sick .

I figure I get about 4-5 hours of semi productive work in the office though; an awful lot of 'in person collaboration' seems to just be casual conversation. Poking at the metrics they are using to justify the changes and they seem to include a lot of people who are retired, on secondment, long term sick leave etc who may still be on some lists as active employees. THe nice thing is they seem to have gathered data about 'unproductive employees' who don't log in but haven't bothered passing it on to supervisors for action, and instead going with the group hammering. I'm sure 90% of them are not what they think they are, and the actual unproductive people milking the system will just be unproductive in a different location.

I think that's where giving lower level leaders the ability to figure out what makes sense for their team and work, vice some kind of top down push.

I like the hybrid option; some times 2-3 days a week (or more) makes sense, and can do a lot of useful things in person deliberately. Other times I may not go into the office at all because I'm spending 20-30 hours on teams calls supporting PMOs and the fleet (with no ability to travel down in person).

Now the options include in person attendance at alternate locations, or with the hoteling spreading teams across floors or buildings on a campus, which is really just a physical presence in a GoC desk, so the high level messages and actual implementations are basically going in different directions.

Wouldn't be as bad if Ottawa hadn't broken public transit, even best case right now for me to get to the various offices in 90 minutes or more on multiple buses and the LRT each way, and I'm in the city. Driving is about 30 minutes with no traffic, and 60-90 minutes with rush hour/construction. So 2-4 hours of commuting, plus the cost everyday for pretty arbitrary reasons is pretty frustrating when the option is there to not do that every day in some jobs. DND needs us a lot more than we need DND, so with the retention issues generally this whole thing doesn't really make sense to me at all at the 30k' level or in the weeds looking up.

I guess that's what annoys me, in theory we have a lot of autonomy and direct responsibilities delegated down to us for spending millions of dollars and making decisions on life safety and operationally critical things, but not trusted on basic travel or now apparently attendance.

I think that's where giving lower level leaders the ability to figure out what makes sense for their team and work, vice some kind of top down push.

I like the hybrid option; some times 2-3 days a week (or more) makes sense, and can do a lot of useful things in person deliberately. Other times I may not go into the office at all because I'm spending 20-30 hours on teams calls supporting PMOs and the fleet (with no ability to travel down in person).

Now the options include in person attendance at alternate locations, or with the hoteling spreading teams across floors or buildings on a campus, which is really just a physical presence in a GoC desk, so the high level messages and actual implementations are basically going in different directions.

Wouldn't be as bad if Ottawa hadn't broken public transit, even best case right now for me to get to the various offices in 90 minutes or more on multiple buses and the LRT each way, and I'm in the city. Driving is about 30 minutes with no traffic, and 60-90 minutes with rush hour/construction. So 2-4 hours of commuting, plus the cost everyday for pretty arbitrary reasons is pretty frustrating when the option is there to not do that every day in some jobs. DND needs us a lot more than we need DND, so with the retention issues generally this whole thing doesn't really make sense to me at all at the 30k' level or in the weeds looking up.

I guess that's what annoys me, in theory we have a lot of autonomy and direct responsibilities delegated down to us for spending millions of dollars and making decisions on life safety and operationally critical things, but not trusted on basic travel or now apparently attendance.

If only managers were trained to lead a distributed workforce it might be more viable to WFH...

Managers need training to lead remote teams—but most still haven’t gotten it​

In the last few years, many workforces have transitioned to remote settings and later into hybrid setups. Despite that dynamic shifting expectations of and environments for managers, a new study finds most people leaders haven’t been properly trained for this new reality.

According to TechSmith Corp.’s 2024 Workplace Flexibility Trends Report—conducted in collaboration with Global Workplace Analytics and Caryatid Workplace Consultancy—nearly 75% of respondents indicated their employer has not offered managers specific training on leading remote and hybrid workers. The firms polled 900 U.S. leaders in HR, real estate, IT and product roles.

“The pandemic forced the majority of organizations into hybrid work practically overnight, with no time to consider how to support new practices,” says Wendy Hamilton, CEO of TechSmith, a provider of visual communication tools for the workplace.

1716399136984.png

If only managers were trained to lead a distributed workforce it might be more viable to WFH...

In the last few years, many workforces have transitioned to remote settings and later into hybrid setups. Despite that dynamic shifting expectations of and environments for managers, a new study finds most people leaders haven’t been properly trained for this new reality.

According to TechSmith Corp.’s 2024 Workplace Flexibility Trends Report—conducted in collaboration with Global Workplace Analytics and Caryatid Workplace Consultancy—nearly 75% of respondents indicated their employer has not offered managers specific training on leading remote and hybrid workers. The firms polled 900 U.S. leaders in HR, real estate, IT and product roles.

“The pandemic forced the majority of organizations into hybrid work practically overnight, with no time to consider how to support new practices,” says Wendy Hamilton, CEO of TechSmith, a provider of visual communication tools for the workplace.

View attachment 85371

Wouldn’t that make them leaders vice managers?

I’ll see myself out.

View attachment 85371

I've heard about this training thing you speak about; I thought with a posting message you just get some kind of download like in the Matrix, with occasional updates as things evolve.

I try and reinforce that at work. We manage things, we lead people. Sometimes that doesn’t sink in for some.

My Spirit Animal is Don Draper ;)

Mad Men GIF

Back