• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

The majority of flights in the arctic will be exactly the same as the CCG. For the other stuff there is the Cyclones, but we will be always short on those. So this is the 80% solution and will mean they will have helicopters onboard, making them far more useful than pining for the 100% solution that is not there.
I’m less generous than 80% ;)

My belief if you want a MH, you want it to be able to perform in all the conditions you will face - which means launching and recovery in poor sea states (which having been a GIB in some unpleasant rough night up and downs means I want the best possible solution for the situation).

The arctic is going to become more and more cluttered and contested, and at this point the MH-60 is the best solution for those missions.

I’d also love a squadron of Hooks up somewhere in the North to offer its speed, size and other capabilities.

My belief if you want a MH, you want it to be able to perform in all the conditions you will face - which means launching and recovery in poor sea states (which having been a GIB in some unpleasant rough night up and downs means I want the best possible solution for the situation).

The arctic is going to become more and more cluttered and contested, and at this point the MH-60 is the best solution for those missions.

I’d also love a squadron of Hooks up somewhere in the North to offer its speed, size and other capabilities.
Serious question: was the Iranian Bell 212 the 80% solution?

Or should we wait for the MH-60 replacement?

Open sources on CH-147F capabilities indicate they can self-deploy all the way up to Alert with a two-hop flight. Dedicated infra and housing people in the north is a pretty big squeeze for the juice, if you can put blades on site in 24-36hrs.
IMG_4251.jpeg

Serious question: was the Iranian Bell 212 the 80% solution?

Having a few hours on type, I’d say the bigger issue is the decision-making process of the pilots. I’ll go out on a limb to believe this was CFIT.

Or should we wait for the MH-60 replacement?

1716211147961.gif

Having a few hours on type, I’d say the bigger issue is the decision-making process of the pilots. I’ll go out on a limb to believe this was CFIT.

View attachment 85319
Most likely. Its a common tale: the boss said GO and it is likely that saying no isn't really an option. I would like to here from the crews from the other two helicopters. We haven't heard anything from them at all.

Most likely. Its a common tale: the boss said GO and it is likely that saying no isn't really an option. I would like to here from the crews from the other two helicopters. We haven't heard anything from them at all.
You won’t…

View attachment 85285View attachment 85286

Schefferville to Churchill and Muskrat Falls, Churchill Falls to Goose Bay, Goose Bay to Old Fort on Quebec Highway 138, just past Blanc Sablon on the Strait of Belle Isle.

Completing the coastal highway remains a work in progress. One that proceeds at its own pace but one that proceeds.

The Faroe Islanders cost the Danes a fortune but they still build them tunnels. It is both a matter of pride and a bet on the future.

View attachment 85287

I don't underestimate the challenges but others seem to have accepted them as worth the attempt. The above map seems to suggest why Moosonee might have been considered for one route to salt water in that it appears to skirt most of the peatlands. Likewise it seems to suggest why the York Factory - Port Nelson route might be given preference over the Churchill route. Churchill may present a better harbour but the approach through the peatlands is longer. Port Nelson is closer to the hard rock of the Shield.

And I have driven across floating bridges in Canada and the US and highways built over swamps and Bayous on the Gulf Coast.

And then there is always this highway

View attachment 85288

Was just on it last week and it remains an absolute marvel. Though, the Flagler railway bridge that was the original land link through the Keys (of which a tiny, terrifying remnant can be explored) seems to me to be an even more impressive structure, given the time it took to build it.

As an adjunct, given we’re talking Keys and prohibitively expensive projects, Fort Jefferson on the Dry Tortugas was a supremely expensive, logistical nightmare to build, but it helped safeguard the Port of New Orleans. This allowed control of the Mississippi River and therefore access to the US heartland. In many ways, it draws comparison to any number of Arctic ports that could be built up (with difficulty and at great expense) to protect our northern resources and waterways. You need to pay to play, but the end result could be nation defining.

As an adjunct, given we’re talking Keys and prohibitively expensive projects, Fort Jefferson on the Dry Tortugas was a supremely expensive, logistical nightmare to build, but it helped safeguard the Port of New Orleans. This allowed control of the Mississippi River and therefore access to the US heartland. In many ways, it draws comparison to any number of Arctic ports that could be built up (with difficulty and at great expense) to protect our northern resources and waterways. You need to pay to play, but the end result could be nation defining.

The problem is so many politicians are only looking to the election cycle, not their countries (this doesn’t just apply to Canada) best interest in the long term.

Back